Device identified as sunset part.
- Main power switching devices identified as ‘sunset’ part
- Original part seen as ‘weak’.
Challenges for SET
- Major high value component/assembly with potential for significant commercial impact
- EMC implications
- Ensuring new IGBTs would operate within safe limits during worst case conditions
- Predicting the service life of alternatives
- Two alternatives validated via on-vehicle trials including: EMC & Thermal
- Lab tests to demonstrate operation within design limits
- Duty cycle tests to predict service life
- Close links established with component manufacturers to ensure all technical requirements & risks were understood. This also allowed SET models and predictions to be independently scrutinised
- Two validated alternatives with significant improvements in predicted service life compared to original part
- Comprehensive report
- Aspects of SET’s work were independently assessed and validated by Lloyds Register Rail